Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Back in Britain

"Back home in England

Mona Sammouni with someone she loves that was saved

Mona Samouni - both parents lost, but still someone to love

I’m back in the UK. It is nearly a year since I left here to be part of making the FreeGaza project happen, pretty much expecting to end up in Israeli prison – the one thing that didn’t happen! Instead, we reached Gaza and it became inextricably part of my life. I don’t really have the words to thank you all, old friends and new both, for the emotional, financial and political support you have given both me and my Gaza friends over this year.

It was amazing to me to find I had an audience beyond my friends (who have always been very wonderful) for this blog, but I don’t flatter myself that was about me; I share the same frustration as you with the corporate media. Thank you for being determined to seek out ways independent of them to hear Gaza’s stories.

Khan Younis child's picture of Dec/Jan attacks, Al Amal (Hope) Centre

Khan Younis child's picture of Dec/Jan attacks, Al Amal (Hope) Centre

I’m available for talks, or maybe blog post readings even, this summer in the UK, you can see more details here. If you’d like to have me, I’ll do my best to get to you. In September I will begin my midwifery degree…with a plan to do my student placement in Gaza, of course!

my last harvest day, Latamat - the army shot nearby, but not at our farmers

14/4, my last harvest day, Latamat - the army shot nearby, but not at our farmers

This blog may go quiet (for now!) but Gaza stories of course will continue. Today – the Hope Convoy, refused entry to Gaza by Egypt, have set up their sleeping bags in the Rafah border hall. Three British medics are already there, hunger striking at Egypt’s refusual to let them in. And Israel just dropped a bunch of fliers over Gaza making it official that the border farmers and residents are targets for shooting “if within 300 metres”.

As E points out in her blog: “Since the end of the war on Gaza, January 18, Israeli soldiers have killed at least 3 people in the border region, including a child, and have injured another 12, including 3 minors and 2 women, and many of these injuries have occurred at distances greater than 300m, greater even than 500m, from the fence. The injured and killed have been clearly unarmed, visibly no threat to well-armed Israeli soldiers.”

May 25: from the sky - death threats with diagrammes

May 25: from the sky - death threats with diagrammes

Please continue listening, via E’s blog or any of the others in my links section for example, and take action as you can – for the fishermen, the farmers, the prisoners, the emergency workers, but in the end for all Palestinians who live under Israel’s Occupation.

The Occupation will end. The wall will fall. Palestine WILL be free.

Mr Deeb can remember a free Palestine...

Mr Deeb can remember a free Palestine...

...let's believe that Dr Halid's littlest girl will live in a freed Palestine

...Inshallah Dr Halid's littlest girl will live in a free Palestine.

Read the rest of this post HERE