Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Good, Bad and Ugly About Sports

Seeing as the Sox are going for the clincher tonight, I thought it would be time to take stock of sports.

"The crowd goes wild" Letters October 28, 2007

The Good

WELL, RED Sox Nation is alive and kicking in Braintree. I was delivering meals to the elderly through the Meals on Wheels program the other morning, and I was astounded at how many of our female senior citizens are excited about the Sox and their drive to the World Series. At least five of these beautiful people were telling me of their excitement for that night's upcoming game and wanted to show me rugs, afghans, and shirts proclaiming them members of Red Sox Nation. I think it is terrific that these 70-year-old, 80-year-old, and, in one case, 93-year-old fans are so into the Sox. They show more enthusiasm for what is happening than some of the young kids. It's great that the Sox have given them something to look forward to each night and for them to be able share the excitement with each other. C'mon, team, let's keep it going for these senior citizens.

And then they can start cheering for the Celtics and Bruins.

DICK CUMMINS
Braintree

The Bad

WHEN THE Yankees lost to the Indians in the playoffs, I was surprised at the reaction of many of the Red Sox fans I deal with day-to-day. I was met with a tremendous number of smirks, jeers, and the obligatory "Yankees suck." A guy I work with, who maybe comes to my office twice a year, made a point of stopping by every time the Sox won against Cleveland. He's done the same with the first two Colorado games. He has a giant smile on his face, which he sticks in my doorway and says, "How 'bout those Red Sox?" I can tell he thinks this upsets me, and I realize he'd be devastated if it were the Yankees beating the Rockies. That's the difference between Yankees and Red Sox fans; I couldn't care less if the Sox win or lose the Series. I only care that the Yankees lost.

My daughter, who attends college, recently asked, innocently, about some unruly students, "Dad, why were they all screaming 'Yankees suck' when they just beat Cleveland?"

That's when I realized the real curse for the Red Sox. They play in the Yankees' shadow even when the Yankees don't cast a shadow. Red Sox fans everywhere: You'll probably be 2007 world champions. Relish it. Do the Papelbon jig - for the next few months, anyway. Come April, you'll be relegated back to the understudy role.

JOE RECCHIO
Ashland

GRAPES!!!!!!!

I THINK I speak for the moms of Red Sox Nation when I say that the playoff and World Series games start too late. I am the meanest mom in Boston, because I made my children go to bed during Game 1 of the World Series in the fourth inning on a school night. I'm sure Fox is going for prime-time ratings, but if they started earlier, more of us would be awake to watch their ads. More important, young Sox fans would not have to go to school bleary-eyed or angry with their moms for making them miss half the game.

That said, go Sox!

MARY-WREN vanderWILDEN
Concord

Ah, MEMORIES!!!!


The Ugly

I HAVE been a proud Boston Red Sox fan since 1952 (yes, the year I was born). I've lived through the ups and downs, and mostly spent my life "waiting for next year." In 2004 our team did the improbable and snatched our first breath of real victory. How proud we all were.

Wednesday night, I was waiting in anticipation for the start of the 2007 World Series, with all its majesty and pomp.

Then the Yankee fans came out, or so it seemed. The fans at Fenway booed the Colorado Rockies as the team was announced. The Rockies, a band of upstarts, have played their hearts out to get to this place. I explained to my 12-year-old that fans at Fenway are never like this. We're supposed to be the ones who know their baseball and appreciate good play no matter where it comes from. We're supposed to politely clap for the opposition and go nuts for our Sox.

For the first time in my life, I was ashamed to be a Red Sox fan. I'm still glad they won; I just hope we get the real Sox fans back. Leave the booing and poor sportsmanship to the Bronx.

RICK HAVERTY
Pittsford, N.Y.

Welcome to AmeriKa's society of sportsmanship, circa 2007!!!

What else do expect?

A country that glorifies violence, greed, corruption and humiliation of others in a feeling of superiority can not help but reflect those values in it's "games."

It's like college football.

If you can win 77-0, then you do it.

If you can win 84-0, then do that.

Oh, I gotta go.

The Patriots just HUMILIATED the Redskins 52-7 and the Sox game is about to begin.

Good night, Amurka!