Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Boston Globe's Front Page

It appears that I am not alone!

"By the way, there was an antiwar rally" October 30, 2007

YESTERDAY'S GLOBE reported thousands of students filling the streets of Boston in celebration of the Red Sox victory ("Hub tightens security for Series revelers," City & Region). Cars were flipped over, and a thousand police were deployed. Where were these students Saturday afternoon when the middle-aged and elderly predominated in a demonstration on Boston Common to end the Iraq war? If my generation, which was in college in the 1950s, was the Silent Generation, what name can we give to the present one? Sports-crazed? Indifferent?

A. DAVID WUNSCH
Belmont

I TAKE issue with the Globe for burying its article about the antiwar rally on page 6 of City & Region ("10,000 in Boston rally against war," Oct. 28). This was a nationwide event with regional demonstrations in 11 cities. It reflects public sentiment against the war in Iraq and it warned against the drumbeats for war against Iran. There is a lot of talk about whether newspapers will survive as circulation falls. When the populace is against a war waged by its government, and the papers bury news of protest, who is it that these papers represent? You printed the story with one photo that showed exactly four people. People were on the Common from all over New England.

The people are speaking out. Is anyone in power listening? Will they bother to dig to the inner pages of a newspaper to read about what we want?

PEGGY B. ANDERSON
Granby

I have the same issue with them.

Oh, and, no, they are deaf it seems!


I WAS coming home on the Red Line on Saturday afternoon after attending the antiwar rally on Boston Common.

I was holding a poster that someone had handed me at the rally. It said "No War in Iran," and I was thinking I might post it in my front window.

A young woman in her 20s sat down beside me on the train and quietly asked if she could ask me a question: "Why are you against a war with Iran?"

My response referred to the disasters of our current administration, its misguided goals and failures, etc.

She replied, "I am Iranian, my family is Baha'i, and currently there is a holocaust going on in Iran against the Baha'i and against Christians and nobody hears about this. Eighty percent of the population in Iran is praying for a war to bring down the government."

She got up to get off at her stop, and I thanked her for speaking to me.

The poster is sitting on my kitchen counter.

DEBORAH SILVERSTEIN
Cambridge

80% of the Iranians want war, huh?

Then SIGN UP and GO if you believe the lying agent provocateurs (or is that you)!!!

Sign up your kids, war-whore!!!!!!!!!!

You sure she wasn't Jewish, not Iranian?

Because I see that you are, Silverstein!

Did this encounter even happen, or is it more Zionist lies!!!!!!!!!!!??


TAKING THE T back from Boston after the large antiwar demonstration, I was holding my large sign that read "War is not the answer." A little girl of about 3 who was nearby asked her mom to read the sign to her. After she did, the girl asked, "Mommy, what is war?" If only the children of Iraq and other countries around the world could be so innocent.

MADELEINE ENTEL
Shrewsbury

Some of America's children are not so innocent anymore.

And some Iraqi kids are just
plain dead!