Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:30:09 GMT
A Palestinian medic feeds a baby in an incubator in Gaza City's southern al-Quds hospital.
A Palestinian infant exposed to deadly phosphorous gases in Gaza has died, becoming the youngest casualty of Israel's illegal weapon.
Six-month-old Nancy Sa'di Wakid was declared dead on Sunday, after inhaling the fumes of burning white phosphorous, Palestinian medical sources at Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza City reported.
The baby died of serious complications in her lungs, medics at the hospital announced.
As well as having toxic effects, white phosphorus, used to create smoke screens during battle, releases a thick, billowing smoke.
The Geneva Treaty of 1980 stipulates that white phosphorus should not be used as a weapon of war in civilian areas.
The infant is the youngest casualty of the controversial weapon during Israel's 23 day war on one of the most densely populated areas of the world....