Monday, May 17, 2010

Growing Up in Gaza

"Israel, Judaism, and Anti-Semitism

by Sameh ...

May 6, (Pal Telegraph)-Unlike children worldwide, Palestinians, including myself, growing up in Gaza, the West Bank or East Jerusalem never had a normal childhood. My friend and I would play with sand rather than toys. There are no playgrounds and amusement parks as there are in the west. Palestinian children growing up today inside Gaza and the West Bank also lack toys, amusement parks and playgrounds to exert their energies. The difference between my generation and those growing up now is the level of brutality and number massacred. There are moments when I remember the Israeli soldiers storming my home in 1992; they hit my mother and beat my 10-year old cousin. Although I was only 7, I still remember every single detail as if happened yesterday. During the Second Intifada, Israel bombed my neighbourhood several times. Many of my friends were killed. Death, blood and violence fill the memories of all Palestinian children. Can you imagine what the children of Israel’s massacre of Gaza are going to remember? The memories they have will plague them until the day they depart this world.

Death, blood and violence does not make one turn to violence or even a hater of those who engage in violence. Violence is a means to an end that is chosen by some because they believe it is necessary. Many others choose nonviolence as a means to an end. It is the non-violent means that I chose. The end we all seek, however, is the same. We all seek the establishment of a Palestinian State along the 1967 borders, which encompasses Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The border recognized by the international community and in United Nations Resolutions; the same border that the United States recognizes as belonging to a Palestinian state.

It is for the creation of a Palestinian state and awareness of Palestinians due to the misconception many in the international community have that made me become a Peace Activist and later journalist. As a peace activist, I worked closely with the Israeli peace movement and Israeli peace organizations that advocate for the creation of a Palestinian state and want an end to the conflict.

Since coming to the UK, I have continued working as an activist to lobby and raise awareness for Palestine. It is through the Palestine Telegraph that I seek to bring awareness to the West about Palestinians and bringing the voice of them to a western audience....

--MORE--"

Also see:
The Palestine Telegraph Newspaper